Wednesday 25 July 2012

Inzaghi to stay back in Milan

After months of speculation, AC Milan striker Filippo Inzaghi has ended his playing career to take over as the club's youth-team coach. 

The 38-year-old was a pale shadow of his former self last season and made just seven substitute appearances for Milan scoring the final goal of his 22-year career with an 82nd-minute winner in his farewell appearance, a 2-1 win over Novara on May 13 this year. 

He ends his career second on the all-time goalscoring charts in European competition with 70, second only to Raul's 77, and in all he scored 126 times in 300 appearances for Milan. 

He added 25 in 57 caps for Italy, who never lost a match in which Inzaghi scored. 

Previously, he had been linked with moves to Watford, under new coach Gianfranco Zola, or Malaga but has signed a two-year contract to coach Milan's Allievi Nazionali (national students), their junior squad. 

"My time with Milan finished in the best possible way, with a goal in the final game, so it was all perfect," Inzaghi, 38, told Italian media. 

"Now I begin another dream, which is to be a coach and hopefully win the Champions League." 

Inzaghi, who scored 156 Serie A goals in 370 games, added: "I couldn't go to play elsewhere, as I could not just leave Milan. Today I received a proposal from England, but I can't leave Milan. 

"I signed a two-year contract and will coach the youth team, then I hope one day to lead the senior squad too." 

No comments:

Post a Comment